Insurance Alternative Family Housing | Q and A

Insurance Alternative Family Housing | What You Need To Know Before It’s Too Late!

Q & A | Insurance Family Alternative Accommodation

Q: What is an insurance alternative family accommodation | housing?

Insurance alternative family accommodation or Housing is when the Insurance finds you new temporary house. Is when your home suffers unexpected damage and becomes uninhabitable, and you hold an alternative family accommodation cover. In this situation, your insurance company will cover the cost of living somewhere else while repairs are carried out.  It is important to check your policy to ensure you are comfortable with the cover that you’re being provided with.

Insurance Family Alternative Accommodation

Insurance- Family Alternative Accommodation Provider

Q: What is alternative family accommodation cover?

When your home becomes uninhabitable (perhaps because of a flood or fire) and you’re insured to cover the event, your insurance provider would pay the costs for you to stay somewhere else i.e. (Huku Kwetu alternative family accommodations) while your home is being prepared.

Q: Do building and content policies include alternative family accommodation?

Most building and contents insurance policies include this, but you should always check the T’s and C’s to be sure. You should also check whether any limits apply. For example, there’s normally a maximum amount that you can claim, so ensure that you’re comfortable with the cover that you’re being offered.

Q: What Types of insurance alternative family accommodation can I be offered?

You should be provided with ‘reasonable’ accommodation. This means that you should be offered somewhere to stay that will let you carry on life as normal, for example not stopping you from getting to work, or taking part in your normal leisure activities. Accommodation should also be suitable for your family size. For example, if you have three children, you shouldn’t be expected to stay in a one-bedroom house. Check availability at Huku Kwetu Alternative Family Accommodation near you.

The accommodation that you’d be offered would depend on the circumstances of your claim. If you will only need to stay somewhere else for a few days or weeks, you could be put in a serviced accommodation, hotel or B&B, whereas if you’ll need to be somewhere else for several months, you’d more likely be offered a rental property. However, if a suitable property that’s like your own isn’t available right away, your insurer might suggest that their book you into a hotel instead.

Q: Does Huku Kwetu corporate housing suitable for families?

Yes, Huku kwetu managers a wide list of self-catering, short term, Mid-term and long-term houses suitable for families, business and holiday travellers around the country. All their houses are in great residential areas close to schools and all amenities. See at the bottom of this page is their contact details – Huku Kwetu Corporate Housing

Q: How much will I be covered for?

Again, policies do vary, but you could expect a cover of about 20% of the cost insured towards the cost of alternative accommodation. Your insurer should also provide advice on finding professionals to undertake repairs, or they’ll provide tradesmen from their own network that they frequently use.

If your home is still habitable but your kitchen isn’t fully-functioning, some insurers will reimburse you for having to eat out or get takeaways until your kitchen is repaired.

Huku Kwetu | Insurance Alternative Family Homes

Flooded Homes – Find Huku Kwetu Alternative Homes

Q: What would happen to my pets and belongings?

If animals aren’t allowed in your temporary home, your insurer might pay for kennel or cattery fees. Some insurers may also cover storage costs for your belongings. However, if these things are important to you, then you should check your policy as cover varies from insurer to insurer.

Alternative accommodation cover normally comes under your building insurance, which will not cover any damage caused to your belongings, therefore you should make sure that you are covered for this under your contents insurance.

Q: As a landlord, what do I need to think about?

Whether you let out accommodation on a short-term, long-term, or holiday home basis, if your tenancy agreement states that you will provide alternative accommodation for your tenants, you should check that your landlord insurance includes this. Without an insurance policy, finding accommodation for your tenants in an emergency could be very expensive.

Q: For what reasons can I claim alternative family accommodation cover?

The amount of cover you’ll get for different circumstances will vary between insurance companies, and also depends on the level and type of policy that you have.

You can claim for alternative cover if any of the following happens to your home:

However, different insurance providers have their own definitions of ‘uninhabitable’. In most cases, it should cover loss of:

Before you can use your alternative accommodation cover, an independent loss adjuster will come to your home to assess the damage, and impact it’s had on your living conditions. They will then report their findings back to your insurer.

If they then decide your house is uninhabitable, your claim will continue to be processed. If your home still has all the things above in place, the adjuster might suggest that you can carry on living there. Though it can be upsetting and disruptive to have repairs going on while you’re in the house, it can mean less upheaval for you and your family to stay put.
 Polite Request: We hope the content was helpful and added value to you. If it did –  please, be kind enough to share with your friends and family Also leave us your comment. Thank you

Insider | Hakuna Matata

Written by Karibu Qwetu • April 27, 2020
Share Article: twitter Facebook

Related Articles